Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A friend offered to host an open discussion on things religious, and I previewed my position. Granted, this is greatly condensed and could well be expanded. Then again, what do I know?

The evidence for the existence of a god or gods is wholly subjective (i.e., personal revelation) and/or manmade (holy books and artifacts). Logical analysis not only does not support the existence of the supernatural, it negates the very possibility. However, I do not believe that science can provide ultimate reasons for existence. Quite honestly, there is no higher purpose for the existence of the universe other than that it is here.

Our reason for existence? There isn't one. But I am not a nihilist. A person's purpose is entirely subjective, and this was what I took away from my study of Austrian economics: not only is value subjective, but so is purpose. Man must act. Action is our nature, and our purpose. To what ends, and by what means, is our own choice. We are also emotional animals, and we must always be careful to take stock of our emotional states before proceeding to act. Much of what humans call rational behavior is actually their own rationalization of emotional states.

Science cannot tell us why the universe exists or what our purpose is, nor should it try. That way lies the idea that human nature is malleable. It is not. The wars and despotisms of the 20th Century are the result of deadly ideologies, enabled by scientism.

I have chosen to make human liberty my life's work before I shuffle off this mortal coil, to the best of my limited talents and abilities. Only in liberty can Man become everything he aspires to be, considering each person's abilities, talents and resources, and only with the division of labor and private property can we produce enough to sustain human life on this planet. And knowing that some people would rather steal and swindle than work, we create institutions and technologies to protect our lives, liberty and property (though they need not involve governments, they usually do). But since I also would like to earn a paycheck, I work in my chosen career field and try not to neglect it too much in pursuit of Truth. :-) I also would like to be as good a husband and friend as I can, and see as much of the world as I can afford.

Look at it this way. The universe is about 13.7 billion years old, by the latest reckonings. Earth itself is about 4.5 billion years old. Life on Earth is about three billion years old. Multicellular life only came about some billion years ago. Every living thing on this planet today is so extraordinarily lucky to be here, as are we. But we're the only ones who have the awareness to appreciate it. Let's enjoy our lives, and live in peace.

No comments: